Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> They're not trying for anarchy.  They're trying to kill any hope of
>> competition, as is shown by their track record.  Destroy ODF, so that
>> their own proprietary formats become the only choice.
>>

> Having ODF render differently in MSO and OOo will certainly help to
> destroy ODF. That is why I argue that OOo should render as MSO does.

Following MS is a moving target.

>>> With the assumption that Microsoft's motives are to create anarchy,
>>> what should OOo do? Deliberately force incompatibility issues, or be
>>> compatible?
>>>

>> They want to make their formats appear to be the only usable choice.
>> Given all the open source projects that use ODF, it wouldn't take much
>> effort to see how others manage to be compatible.
>>

> So you leave it up to MS to code the interoperability? That does not sound
> wise.
>

>>> That is debatable, and it is unreasonable to assume that the player
>>> with 95%+ market share would look at any other implementation as a
>>> reference implementation.
>>>

>> That's the same as saying they get to decide the format for everyone.
>> This is the same company that periodically changes formats and forces
>> users to buy newer versions.
>>

> Yes, the market leader gets to decide the format for everyone. That
> is, the market leader gets to decide the parts of the format not
> explicitly stated in the standards, for their market share of users.

Problem is the "leader" has consistently tried to make it difficult for
others to interoperate.  It's a proprietary format, despite that OOXML
rammed through ISO.  Take a look at their "standard" and you'll soon
discover it's difficult, if not impossible, for anyone other than
Microsoft to properly implement.

>>> They did not change the format.
>>>

>> Read a bit more from Rob Weir.
>>

> I see that the MS effort is not 100% ODF compatible. Neither is the OOo
> effort.

How is it that all the other ODF players can interoperate, but MS can't?

One of the main points of ODF was to get away from dependence on MS.
Your path will increase it.  ODF is also fully open for all to see.
Can't say the same for OOXML.