On Fri, May 08, 2009 21:18:55 PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/5/8 M. Fioretti <mfiore...@nexaima.net>:

> Exactly. I do not expect MS to code the ambiguous parts of ODF to be
> compatible with OOo. I expect them to make it different.

and why users, especially governments, should ever allow this really
escapes me, sorry.

> The difference is that DOC and such are binary formats, reverse
> engineered.

technical differences like this, ie binary vs zipped containers of XML
files, simply don't matter. It's not this we're talking about, as I
already wrote.

> > If the market leader gets to decide for everyone, or more exactly
> > if this principle remains acceptable in the specific field of file
> > formats, the market leader will continue to change its decisions
> > every
> >
> With the reasonable assumption that decisions won't be made to make
> ODF-spec parts non-spec, this is a non-issue as OOo would be
> ignoring those parts.

I simply don't understand this last sentence, sorry.

> Then [ODF] should have been better defined.

I have already answered to this in the article I quoted, so I won't
cut and paste that here.

> > The whole point of ODF and open file formats and all the movement
> > behind is exactly to never allow anymore that market leadership
> > happens or is artificially maintained by tricks at the file format
> > level.
> But the format was ambiguous. Hopefully 1.2 will address those issues

My understanding is that OOo and probably other applications have done
the only possible right thing, ie coding according to the ODF 1.2
draft WHICH ALREADY EXISTS. The fact that MS didn't is the best proof
that it would be dead wrong to accept this trick of theirs. What
you're suggesting, unless I lost some step, is that:

1) OOo and everybody else should change what they've ALREADY done
   (which is as futureproof as can be today), ie waste energies to run
   after the false track laid by MS with this trick...

2) ...Until ODF1.2 passes ISO ratification, ie when everybody,
   including Microsoft, to participate in government tenders, will
   have to be conformant to ODF 1.2

3) and restart again chasing the next category of MS moonbeams

...which means, apart from the waste of energies, make people produce
some other million non interoperable files that would lie around
creating problems. Am I missing something?

Marco
software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84