>> > If we found a place where the actual standard or the proposed one
>> > is lacking, and MS has implemented it in some different way than
>> > OO, then yes, as long as the standard (or a draft) is not defined,
>> > copying MS will be the wiser thing to do.
>
> To whoever wrote this (Dotan, can you add an attribution line please?)
>

>>2009/5/8 Javier Rivera <jav...@castroparga.com>:
>>> If we found a place where the actual standard or the proposed one is
>>> lacking, and MS has implemented it in some different way than OO, then yes,
>>> as long as the standard (or a draft) is not defined, copying MS will be the
>>> wiser thing to do. But when MS and the standard (even standard
>>> recommendations) conflict, we should follow the standard.
>>>

> Copying Microsoft would be the dumbest, wrongest thing to do. The
> point is to put an end to the very principle that one single private
> company can make the law on what such a basic file format (or its
> contents) can or cannot be like.

In the absence of OASIS doing so, it _is_ in ODF's best interest to
have a reference implementation. That is what we are referring to.

> If you waste time copying Microsoft once, you'll never stop because
> they'll change something else next year just to keep you running into
> a loop.
>
> Is this really so hard to understand, especially considering that is
> exactly what they have done for +15 years? ODF came out just to make
> them stop playing that game through their own formats. If you allow
> them to replay the same game inside ODF, it's perfectly useless to
> have put together ODF in the first place.

In which case ODF should specify the parts that MS implemented
differently than OOo. It doesn't, so MS is free to do as they please.

> All the rest of this thread is just details.

Agreed.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com