Lars Nooden wrote:
M. Fioretti wrote:

one way to contribute to its solution, which is easy and affordable
for everybody, is to _never_ link to Wikipedia as a source (unless
what you're talking about is Wikipedia, of course :-) )

Been there, done that.  However, as mentioned I still see students going
to Wikipedia for nearly all of their information, even after it can be
show to be wrong or after it's been announced in class that Wikipedia
references will not count towards a grade in coursework.

Wikipedia is a cool idea, it's just the workflow has to be entirely
re-designed to take into account the political warfare by companies and
governments.  I remember the days when you didn't even need an account
to use networked computers.  One place even had a Sun workstation in the
lobby, logged in all the time.  Others had nearly full-privilege guest
accounts.  For many years, there was no abuse back then, aside from
occasional pranks.  Those days are gone and Wikipedia has to face the
new environment.

-Lars

I have a question?
Why not get some really smart people together on ODF, OpenOffice.org,
and other open source software, technologies, and concepts, AND
create a Wikipedia "style" of site but with the correct info.  ALSO
only allow accredited people do the edits.

THEN link this site to the Wikipedia pages that have the wrong info.
Make the links sound like if you go here you get the best info
on the topic.

I know people will look at what is in the Wikipedia pages and say
this is all that I need, but if you place a link in those pages
to more and better info, you might get some takers.  The more takers
to your links to the correct info, the more people might go to
this new and better site.

Yes, I have used that site searching for stuff.  But when I go
to their links for more information, most of those links are
either to the wrong info or are dead.  Then there are the outdated
info as well.

So I do not like Wikipedia for my research.  I would prefer a site
that is easy to use and that I know would be up to date and
would not have bad info.

What I really hat is when the links for info goes to a blogger
page or message board.  They are hard to find the info I need
since it is mostly opinions.

So lets "put up or shut up".  You experts in ODF that want to
correct the wrongs, do something about it.  Create the proper
info site and get it linked to as many places as you can.  Do
whatever you can to get your message out there.

I am not an expert, but I am someone that local people come to
to find answers about computer problems.  I do my best to find
them.

There is one "local" site that a lady has spend 13 years of
her own free time with a lot of volunteers to create a
17,000+ page site that has historical info for my tri-county
area.  Her site is the first place people go to to find out
info.

Be that type of site.  Make one that people will go to first,
instead of Wikipedia.  When I have a problem with OOo, this is
the first place I go to online.

Can you do this with ODF?  Can that "OpenDocument Fellowship"
people get their message out there that they might be a
better place than Wikipedia?

well, better stop typing now.
I get mad a people that will complain but will not help with
the solving the problem.

Tim L.
retired due to massive back/neck injuries and 3 strokes, but
still fighting for my rights and helping those I can.