Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> Could someone knowledgeable about ODF monitor Wikipedia on this subject?
>> Is it possible to complain to someone at Wikipedia with the hope of
>> putting a stop to the abuse? This kind of thing is destructive for
>> Wikipedia as well as ODF.
>
> The "cheaper" solution is to just trust that anyone with the intellect to be
> influential in any
> meaningful way (vs. trolls) knows enough to not waste their time on
> Wikipedia.  Personally I'm confident of this as all the academics and
> hackers I know both speak of Wikipedia with derision (usually in the form
> of humor "I read it on Wikipedia - it must be true!").  Only trolls and
> fan-boys have the low standards to cite Wikipedia.  So just don't waste
> time on it.

A problem, however, is that 99% of low-end students, if they bother to
look up a source at all, make a beeline for Wikipedia when introduced to
a topic...

The problem does not stop there.  You might find that some national
technology decisions for a country or two are based on what was in
Wikipedia during the lead up to the decision.

In short, the problem is that people would have to evaluate, which means
thinking.

Like it or hate it Wikipedia is a problem that is not going away anytime
soon.  Maybe it should turn into a flat out auction.  Edits cost X per
byte, revisions Y, etc. with various fee schedules like flat rates,
weekly caps, volumne discounts, reciprocal pricing, and so on...

-Lars