Ian wrote:
http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/userguide3/index.html

Rhetorical Question:  Why are the above documents in .pdf format as opposed to
the OOwriter format?

It would be nice to be able to cut and paste certain sections so that I could refer to them.
Ian

PS:  I am not subscribed to the list but I _will_ see any replies as I monitor
the list from another site.

Do you mean cut and paste kinda like this?

"What is OpenOffice.org?
OpenOffice.org (OOo) is both a software product and a community of
volunteers who produce and support the software.
Note
Because someone else owns the trademark OpenOffice, the
correct name for both the open-source project and its software is
OpenOffice.org.
The OpenOffice.org software is a freely available, full-featured office
suite.
OOo 3 is a major upgrade of an already feature-rich office suite. If you
have used previous versions of OOo, please look over the new features
list on the OOo wiki.
OOo's native file format is OpenDocument, an open standard format
that is being adopted by governments worldwide as a required file
format for publishing and accepting documents. OOo can also open
and save documents in many other formats, including those used by
several versions of Microsoft Office.
OOo includes the following components."

The above was cut and pasted from one of the pdf documents in question. Perhaps I don't understand the problem/question.

As to why PDF, if I was researching a new program and the only documentation I could obtain was in the proprietary format of the new program, I would not be as inclined to look at it any further. Its an accommodation thing. ;-)

--
Gene Y.