On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 05:13:31 -0500
Came this utterance formulated by Dan Presley to my mailbox:

> I just read the story on the Reuters news service.  The ban affects
> Word 2003 and 2007 only.  With Office 2010 coming out soon,
> Micro$oft's pocketbook won't be hardly affected.  This version does
> not use any of the patented software that led to the lawsuit and ban.

What are you smoking? First of all there is no patented software which
led to the ban. The patent appies to a technique used in .docx save
format. Microsoft will surely stick to the XML .docx and .docm formats.
It is one that they poured millions into, to push through as an ISO
standard in competition to the ODF format.

The patent applies to a particular way Word applies a technology
called custom XML to the document. In practise it means that the content
(words contained in the document) are stored separately to the tags. The
tags are listed with an index number which relates to the location in
the content where they apply. something like:

*CONTENT*
HiHow are you?

*TAGS*
<h1> - 1
</h1> - 3

The i4i patent describes how the tags can be kept in a separate template
as well.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3712
http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5787449.PN.&OS=PN/5787449&RS=PN/5787449
The above link will probably wrap. If need be go here and type in
5787449:
http://patft1.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm

AFAICT this technique is not used within OO.o. To be honest, i did not
know it was used in Word either.

> Even if people will slowly upgrade to Win 7, the same can't be said
> for the new version of Office.  Besides M$ already has almost all the
> money they'll make from Office 2003 and 2007.

Negate the smoking comment, you must be mainlining. This is serious
bulls*!t. Office income has been dropping slightly but not as much as
windows sales. Office has been reported as supporting Windows - mainly
due to really bad Vista performance from the start!
http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/earnings/2009-07-23-microsoft_N.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/msft/earnings/FY09/earn_rel_q4_09.mspx#Balance

> The only thing that hurts the Lords of Redmond is the award and that
> is only a drop in their gargantuan bucket.  I really see no easing in
> Microsoft's market dominance.

Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416