James Knott wrote:
> Keith Clark wrote:
>> Is there an openoffice cheque template?  Can you print your own cheques
>> and are they acceptable at banks (Canada)?
>>

> Cheques have the account info printed with machine readable magnetic
> ink.  Can your printer do that?  If not, the banking system will not
> like your cheques, as they'll have to be manually handled, if accepted
> at all.
About six years ago, I became highly annoyed with my banking
institution.  So, just to be passive-aggressive, I began printing my own
checks.    Not only did I _not_ use magnetic ink, I used _plain_ colored
copier paper.  By law, (US), the banks are obligated to process them.
At the time, I used to get my canceled checks back at then end of the
month.  They all would come back with a strip of paper at the bottom
with the account info - presumably  using the above mentioned magnetic
ink.  It was shortly after that when the bank began to offer electronic
bill pay with no charge.  Now, I rarely write a check.  YMMV as I am not
sure what the deal is in Canada.