Keith Clark wrote:
On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 22:57 -0600, Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
On Friday 20 November 2009 08:22:29 am Keith Clark wrote:
Is there an openoffice cheque template?  Can you print your own cheques
and are they acceptable at banks (Canada)?

Keith

I'm not sure if this conversation has gone quite the way you intended, or even if you've caught most of it. I haven't checked to see if you are subscribed to the list you sent this to, if so forgive me.

However, since you haven't responded, as best I can tell, I thought I would take this another direction.

Are there templates that would allow you to "fill in the blanks" on security printed, laser printer ready, paper. i.e. not print the whole check, or cheque as you spell it, but fill in the "pay to the order of:" and amount lines, etc. I found one spreadsheet utility, but it didn't seem to work.

Yes, followed all along and still did research on my own in the
background.

My problem is my bank wants $100 for 50 cheques and I only write about
10-20 per year.  That is just robbery in my opinion so I decided to find
an alternative.

Versa sells ink jet micr ink for $40 so that makes sense to me.  Now
just to read the details of the business cheque specifications and see
if I can write a template for that (http://www.cdnpay.ca/)

Maybe I should write all of these findings up and publish them
somewhere.  Somebody else may find all of this useful.

Keith

$100 for 50? $2 each?
I get them for under $20 and there are online companies
that sell blank letter size sheets that are checks and
information space.  They were, last time I looked for them,
about $0.05 to $0.20 each check sheet.  These companies
make up your checks to the point where you just use the
printer, laser or inkjet, to fill in the blanks. Many of
these companies include the templates needed to print their
checks.

I use to buy them for when I had a company that needed
professional looking checks instead of hand written ones.

The checks I use now are the standard ones, but I can order
the sheet ones, if needed, for much less from my bank.  I
use a Debit card attached to the checking account most often,
but still that price you bank quoted is robbery.

I just looked this up.
http://www.currentcatalog.com/ has business Checks for
a lot less than you were quoted.

http://www.carouselchecks.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=546
or
http://www.carouselchecks.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=373

This company has 50 checks for $10 made for your laser/inkjet
printer. One check per sheet.

Look for places online or go to a business supply company.