NoOp wrote:
On 11/24/2009 06:31 PM, Web Kracked wrote:
NoOp wrote:
On 11/24/2009 06:55 AM, Web Kracked wrote:
Before I moved to 9.10, I had the same trouble.  I asked the
same question since I could not get things to work.  I was
answered with the following URL.

https://launchpad.net/~openoffice-pkgs/+archive/ppa

You should have checked the ppa _before_ suggesting:

<quote>

PPA description

Empty for now, will likely have OOo 3.2.0/3.2.1 debs for Karmic/Lucid
later in the cycle.

If you want OOo 3.1.1 upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic).
</quote>

Well I just passed on what was given me.
I do not have time to recheck links that worked
last month or even last week.

Click, check. How long does that take?

Remember the issue
was that 9.10 was stated in the thread as a different
version than what was provided by the OOo site and
what I found on the Launchpad site.  For whatever
reason that may have been.

Oh nonsense. You stated:

<quote>
Before I moved to 9.10, I had the same trouble.  I asked the
same question since I could not get things to work.  I was
answered with the following URL.

https://launchpad.net/~openoffice-pkgs/+archive/ppa

This page will tell you how to get the latest version of
OOo from Launchpad easier that it was for me to get it
working from OOo's download site.  As it was, I upgraded
to 9.10 a few weeks after, when it went beyond the RC.
</quote>

Not everyone has perfect memory.  After THREE strokes
that caused me to loose most of my ability to work, I
do have some troubles with my memory and my words.

The "for whatever reason" quote is the fact that I do not
know why it was easier to use the Launchpad site to get
OOo installed on Ubuntu than OOo's own links/system. Both
were the same version, just different sites and install
procedures.

As for time to click/check, AM I required to confirm
every link is working every time I tell someone that I
was given it for "whatever reasons"??  I just copied the
link from the old email and that was that.  Many times
I do not have more than 2 weeks worth kept from this list,
and then just the ones that I may still be interested in.

I still do not know what the differences between the
"Sun" and the "Novell" version, as stated before by
someone else that there was two versions, plus not
referring to any other title like "Oxygen Office".  I
was told months ago that the 9.04 Ubuntu distro was
based on Oxygen Office and I wanted OOo's version, since
I believe it will be the most up-to-date.  So I asked
for help installing OOo's site download, but in the end
I was given information about Launchpad.  That worked
very easy.  Then as few weeks later, I think that was the
timing, 9.04 wanted to upgrade itself [through the
upgrade manager] to 9.10.  I let it do so.  It came up
with a Tan 3.1 "splash" screen and it stated it is
OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 OOO310m19 (Build:9420), in the
Help>About.. section.  Plus it states
openoffice.org-core 1:3.1.1-5ubuntu1, Thu Oct 22 20:13:41 UTC 2009.

If it is not the same version as was downloaded using
the Lanuchpad site, or is on the OOo site's mirrors,
you can let me know.  If there is a more up-to-date
version, or whatever, then let me know.

I have NO problems with other versions.  On Windows
I have tried several flavors of OOo, like Oxygen Office,
but always decide to go back to the version on OOo's site.
I just want to be using the most up-to-date, and not have
to wait for OOo's newest to be "modified" or recoded into
the other flavors.

So if you have your favorite flavor, good for you.
EuroOffice.org(?)may be big in Europe, but I just need
USA English - in Windows and Ubuntu [and maybe OpenSuSe,
or other Linux distro, depending which works best on my
HP laptop].

So give a guy a break. Three strokes. Memory damage.
Damage to neck/shoulders/low-back and spine/ legs,
with neuropathy in legs, feat, and hands. It can give
a guy trouble from time to time, a lot of time.
I know others worse than me, even on this list, but we all make
wording errors and can forget to add something or exactly
where the information came from.

I just wish, as stated in an earlier email, that it would
be nice to get the updates to OOo as easy as through the/an
update manager without having to deal with waiting for the
Linux distro to have their people "port" the updates to their
update archive system.  Could there be some way to have it
done from a OOo "sister" site/mirror?  It would make it easier
for Ubuntu and other Debian based systems. Then do the same
for the other distro's of Linux.  Someone, some group should
take that task on for their favorite version/distro of Linux.
Windows might make this process easier, but it still does
not make Windows better.  As soon as I get the rest of my
"Win" only narrow-marker software replaced by a Linux version,
there goes my last need for Windows.  What a day it would be.
But for now, I am a 3 OS person, Ubuntu, Win XP/pro, and
Win Vista (the worst OS I have ever used).

Tim L., USA
Forced to retire, but will do as much as I can for as long as I can.
After that, I will be worm food and will not care.