On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 00:16, Web Kracked  wrote:

> The "for whatever reason" quote is the fact that I do not know why it was
> easier to use the Launchpad site to get OOo installed on Ubuntu than OOo's
> own links/system. Both were the same version, just different sites and
> install procedures.

The version of OOo on launchpad is from Go-oo (Novell), not Sun.(For
various reasons, Ubuntu is going to stick with Go-Oo, rather than
Sun's.

> I still do not know what the differences between the "Sun" and the "Novell"
> version,

Novell's version is infested with Mono,  but:
* has slightly better compatibility with MSO;
* has a couple of features in Calc that make it marginally more
suitable for corporate use;

I _think_ that  there is also a difference in Max page size.

>  that the 9.04 Ubuntu distro was based on Oxygen Office

OxygenOffice is based on Go-Oo, but includes a couple of things in
Sun's version, that aren't in Go-Oo.

> I believe it will be the most up-to-date.

Most up-to-date is a matter of how one defines that term.

> Could there be some way to have it done from a OOo "sister" site/mirror?

You should be able to add the (Sun) OOo download site as a repository
to your package management system.

jonathon
--
Ethical conduct is a vice.
Corrupt conduct is a virtue.

Guiding principles of the legal and ethical system of Nacarima.