At 20:30 17/12/2009 +0100, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
[...] And there's more: Opening my example file I can see numbers in a lot of cells. When selecting a cell, the input line shows, for example:
'285
The cell itself displays:
285

BUTÂ… when I manually enter '285 in a cell, that cell actually displays '285, not 285!

I also deleted the ' character only and then typed the ' manually without changing the numbers. Same thing! The cell displays the '.

This may be easy to explain. The leading apostrophe is used in entering data in order to ensure that items remain as text and are not interpreted as numbers, dates, and so on. But if you have Tools | AutoCorrect Options... | Custom Quotes | Single quotes | Replace ticked, your apostrophe will be converted into a single smart opening quotation mark, and this will be taken for what it is and not do the job. You can avoid this by deselecting that option, of course. Alternatively, you can use Edit | Undo (or Ctrl+Z) immediately after typing the apostrophe: this undoes the autocorrcetion but leaves the original, unaltered apostrophe to do its job.

Brian Barker