On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 15:30, Andreas Saeger  wrote:

> I have never seen any reasonable argument why spreadsheets should be used
> like this  (except for mere laziness).

The typical user neither knows, nor cares what the difference between
a database and a spreadsheet program is.

That they want is a _simple_ way to enter data, and then retrieve it,
when needed.
That data can be as simple as a list of dvds, or as sophisticated as
the human genome project.

(One of the major reason that  the entire  human genome project data
should be rejected on site, and everybody involved in that  project
terminated, and banned form any further  research, of any kind, is
because nobody knows the extent of the damage done by using Excel.
The only safe assumption  is that every datapoint they provided, is
off by  several orders of magnitude.)

jonaton
--
Ethical conduct is a vice.
Corrupt conduct is a virtue.

Guiding principles of the legal and ethical system of Nacarima.