On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 14:50:25 PM +0200, Lars Nooden wrote:
> M. Fioretti wrote:
>
> > I have not clear how a switch to mailman would reduce such messages.
>
> Mailman is much more configurable.

Yes, but first of all, I am not sure that it would or could ever cope
with all the situations that people want to handle here, that is mail
coming in in N different ways, none of which can be configured or
controlled by the mailman administrator, by unsubscribed users. And
yes, I agree that this particular list should indeed accept messages
from such people. Secondly, after ~6 years of seeing collabnet doing
nothing to help on this, I'll spend time discussing mailman
configuration only AFTER they have set it up and migrated this list to
it.

> > do what I already explained here...
>
> Yes, that works.  But I am a human chauvanist and if there is a way
> to get the computer to do that work automatically, then a human
> should not have to do it.

?? There is nothing to do manually in what I suggest other than "Reply
to all" instead of "Reply-to-list" or Reply-to-whatever-the-default
is.  It's one click both ways. With the possible addition of a one
time mail client automatic filter (=automatically remove duplicate
messages) which SURELY works and is a useful thing to have anyway even
outside this list.

> There are also hundreds of messages per year about unsubscribing.

If by this you mean "subscribers asking the list itself to unsubscribe
them", this is the same situation of thousands of other high-volume
mailing list worldwide. But only this one has came up with the
<words-begin-to-fail-here> idea that subscribers must annoy themselves
to death by setting up filters that can't be 100% effective and
tweaking them every month AND sending to each other 2/3 extra
unfilterable copies of each message "sent to unsubscribe poster"

Marco
--
Ninux Day: here's why you too may need your "neighborhood Internet":
http://stop.zona-m.net/node/47