McLauchlan, Kevin wrote:
Web Kracked [mailto:webmas...@krackedpress.com] observed:

Well with 3.2 out, I installed it - or tried to.

Due to some unknown reason, as the only user of this laptop
I did not have the needed privileges for installing some of
the files.  So it stopped in the middle and canceled itself.

So I had to go through Vista's Compatibility install system and
installed it as an Administrator. I am the admin with all the privileges
of one, besides being the only account on the laptop.

The install went zipping by in "install as admin" mode.

Now it is installed, I ran it.

The web site stated it would open up in half the speed.
Well, I did not get half speed.
I got 1/5 or 1/10 speed opening up.
The same from opening manager to Writer.
That part is great.

Well for whatever reason, this is the first time I had to go through
the compatibility system and run the install as an administrator.
Also this seems to be the first time I saw MS Visual C++ redist. being added
to my system with the install.

So, does anyone out there know why I had to install OOo 3.2 as an
Administrator?

Or why for the first time MS Visual C++ was needed?

running an Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with 4 gig ram,
Vista Home/pre 32-bit with all updates

I'm running a Dell Precision T5400 tower with Windows XP Pro X64 and current updates. I too downloaded and tried to install OOo 3.2. I too saw the mention of MS Visual C++. Then, I too had the installer crap out because I don't have enough privileges on my system. I'm supposed to have admin-level privileges on my account. I don't have trouble installing other software - it's part of my job. In this corporate environment, I don't have the option to log in as "administrator". So I'm stuck. OpenOffice.org 3.2 - a good idea whose time has not come.
Lemme know when it becomes really available.

 - Kevin  (OOo user since 1.0)

There should be an options somewhere in XP to "run as administrator" so you
do not have to log in as one. I have only one account on my laptop and I still have the troubles about needing admin privileges. Windows stated that my account
is the admin account.

So if you can find the "run as admin", I found it in Control Panel under a set of program install options with Vista, you do not need to log in as admin. You just
will be installing OOo with the privileges needed.

The other "good" thing that Vista has is the ability to install/run a program in a different environment. If your program will not install under Vista, you can set it up during the Compatibility Install mode to run as if it was running under
XP, Win2000, Win98 and I think even Win95.  I have some software that will
not run under Vista, but will with the Compatibility Install mode set as XP.

I do wonder what is now in OOo 3.2 that needs these extra "admin" privileges
that 3.1.1 did not need? Like you, I have been running OOo in its early 1.x days. Before that I tried StarOffice and I think tried 0.x version of OOo. I have been using free or opensource software since dual floppy days on MS-Dos and PC-Dos machines. I use to write printer resource files for PC-Write for a local college's printers.