Web Kracked wrote:
Then if they have been using MS's C++ all the long, why is it this is the first time
that I get the message that their system is being installed on my computer?

They had been using MSV C runtime library, they have added MSV C++ library now.

If you don't believe me, just check with dlls is soffice.exe and soffice.bin version 3.1 linking.

One Day, MS might decide that people will have to pay for the use of their
free runtime libraries.  That will be no good for us.

Sure they can. This will means nothing for the actual version of OOo, as a royalty-free license to redistribute the runtime is included in the payed Visual Studio version of the developers. This can change with new VS versions, but it's very, very unlikely.

Anyway this is no change at all for OOo, as windows versions were already dependent on the MSVC.

For the programmers out there:
Is there a "Visual C++" system that is free?  Compiler, etc.

Eclipse as IDE and gcc for compiler?

There is also some new system devolved by apple and the BSD guys that have made some news last week.

Javier.