Tanstaafl wrote:
On 2010-02-11 12:49 PM, Programmer In Training wrote:
If this is the future of OpenOffice.org (needing extra files, such as MS
C++ redistributable), I see no reason to continue using it past 3.1x.

Don't be silly. Lots of programs are needing some basic minimal
requirements, just as MSO does.

A *lot* of programs need 2005 C++ redistr (or even 2008)... so what? It
is small and free.

Complaining about something like this is - well, I guess I already said
it... it is silly.
WoW!
When I started this thread, I seemed to open up a can of worms.

I just wanted to know a few things.

1) What is different about OOo3.2 that requires Admin privileges when 3.1.1 did not?

2) Why does 3.2 [windows] need MS Visual C++ when 3.1.1 did not?

Now we have tech people getting all hot about IT policies on software installs.

I just wanted to know the WHY for the new requirements for 3.2.

But as I said before, I did not get loading twice as fast. I got it 5 to 10 times as fast.
That it one of the best things I see for upgrading to 3.2

When 3.2 gets onto the Ubuntu resource site so I can update the other computers, I wonder what is being used for Win Visual C++ since I do not remember it being
able to do Linux.

Tim L.
waiting for my new computer system to be shipped - Ubuntu/OOo 3.1.1?3.2?