Yeah, right.  Tell that to all the engineers, techwriters,
testers, etc.

That's like an invitation to selective "malicious compliance".

I'd smile and say "sure thing". Then I'd use my non-standard
Help-Authoring software (that nobody else in the company has,
or needs to have, and I'd publish my stuff,
right at the end of the product release cycle, as is
always the case, and I'd say "done, and tested on IE 8".
Then, in order to cover off the rest of the requirements
for the product documentation,  I'd send you (as IT person)
 an e-mail, CC:ing my various bosses and other interested parties:

"Dear IT Guy,

 Please test these docs/this Help system in all the other
major browsers that I'm not allowed to install.

I received the last of my reviewers' comments this morning
and published my "final" revision a few hours later, so you
can have until tomorrow morning... early...  And by the way,
be sure to also test on AIX 5.3 (32 and 64), Solaris (various),
HP-UX, RHEL (various versions), SLES (various versions), and
Debian, as well as all the other supported Windows variants
that are not the single corporate-approved version I'm allowed
to have on my desktop. SQA group needs your completed report
by 08:30 tomorrow. I'm going home now.  Oh, and there's 10 million dollars
riding on an on-time release of this product. Cheers!"

Anyway, restrictive IT policies are not always bad.
I currently nod toward company IT policy to avoid being
tapped for work from home. It's good for mental health to
leave work _at_ work.  I maintain only Mac and Linux boxes
at my house, so I'm not elligible to connect to our
corporate network (no security profiles have been
approved for any non-standard platforms). I feel so sad
to not participate in late-evening and early-early-morning
(before the birds get up) sessions with people in the other
corporate offices on the other side of the world... so sad....   :-)

But seriously, what do you do in your strict IT environment,
when 93% of your people use MS Office, but you have a
couple of marketing types who need (or say they need)
Adobe Creative Suite, and you've got a technical writer
who insists on using FrameMaker, MadCap Flare, Acrobat Pro,
Illustrator, and some jumped-up screen-capture and processing
utility that you've never heard of?

Do you tell the respective managers to fire the two marketing
kids and the techwriter because they're demanding to install
non-standard applications AND they won't give you six months
to try it out and validate it in your IT lab before you roll
it out to them?

 - Kevin 'some of my best friends work in IT'

or disclosing it.