James Knott wrote:
Drew Jensen wrote:
One feature of MS Publisher that is a problem, with a quick 'just get Scribus' answer, is that MS Publisher sold itself as a web page publishing tool. Now, I never used it for that.(please let's not get into how bad it is in this thread!). If they are looking for that, then Scribus is certainly not where you send them. OpenOffice.org again offers this feature native - (again please let's not get into how bad it is in this thread! *chuckle*)

So if they just ask about MS Publisher I would suggest first ask Why - if it is for the web features no need to suggest Scribus. If for press ready documents then Scribus, otherwise I would suggest they take a long look at what you can do with this office suite.
Of course, OOo can be used to create web documents.

I stayed away from Publisher as much as possible. I also had to use PageMaker for newsletters. I never, never, considered using either for web page creation. I use Kompozer, which is open-source. Now I am using OOo, and still learning to use it, for my newsletter work. I also do a lot of text work, including formatting and image placement, using Writer first, then copy/paste it into Kompozer.

I have not done more than a look-see into Scribus. Last time I knew "they" wanted you to pay for the offline docs. So I have not done much with that piece of software. Now that I am using Ubuntu as my default system, and have only one laptop as a Windows system, I no longer deal with Publisher or PageMaker unless I really must use it. So I create the text for web pages with OOo and the final web pages with Kompozer. I have not tried doing the complete and final web page with OOo. Word claimed it was the "perfect" web page creation software, then when you looked at it with a regular WYSIWYG web page editer, you will see the super-messy web page coding that cannot be worked with properly, or viewed properly, outside of the MS environment. So I have not dealt with OOo as a web page editor. If others say it is good, then I will not say otherwise. I just deal with it differently. I started web page design using a text editor like notetab++ and/or text-only editors. WYSIWYG was not how you did it when I started web page design.