On 04/07/2010 05:58 AM, Clayton wrote:
> On 07-Apr-10 14:43, webmas...@krackedpress.com wrote:
>> Yes, there should be some free [and easy] methods of converting PDF back
>> to an editable document. MS Word 2000/2003 ".doc" format would be OK
>> since OOo reads/writes that format very well, and MS users will have
>> no troubles excepting it as well. It would be nice to see converters go
>> directly to ODF formats instead of MS ones, since ODF is the
>> International default, while MS is just a want-to-be.
>
> In a sense, what you're wishing for already exists.
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/pdfimport is not just
> for importing PDF into Draw fro minor editing.  This extension also adds
> in the Hybrid PDF functionality.
>
> "A hybrid PDF/ODF file is a PDF file that contains an embedded ODF
> source file. Hybrid PDF/ODF files will be opened in OpenOffice.org as an
> ODF file without any layout changes."
>
> So, if you use OpenOffice.org plus this extension, and create Hybrid
> PDFs, you will be able to "open" the PDF and edit the embedded ODF file
> and export it again as a Hybrid PDF.
>
> C.

Interestingly enough, on a WinXP machine that I just upgraded the Sun
(oragle) java on, the splash screen during the upgrade provides an ad
for OOo. On it is a bullet point about 'import and export pdf's with a
single click. Forgot to take a screenshot, but it's apparent that
Sun/oragle is promoting this as a feature for OOo. Anyone else seen this?