On 07/30/2010 10:11 AM, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

> The default Ubuntu install doesn't include Base. (That's what you
> should have looked for in Synaptic).
> However, the Ubuntu install ALSO has a huge bug that doesn't allow
> external Addressbook sources to be used as registered databases.
> (See this bug here -
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/93546?comments=all).
> If you want to be able to use addressbooks in OO from Thunderbird for
> example, then you need to remove the Ubuntu install of OO and replace
> with the latest version (3.2.1) from Openoffice.org.
> Follow these instructions here: http://www.muktware.com/news/08/2010/164
> They are very good and clear. I've just done this a short while ago
> and it's quite easy and I'm no Ubuntu guru!

That's actually my bug. Please do not remove (U)OOo, it's unnecessary -
see my reply to your "Using Thunderbird addressbook in Open Office"
thread. You can run both standard OOo and (U)OOo quite nicely in
parallel. Now that you've removed (U)OOo, go ahead and try to sort out
installing JMF so that you can use sound & video in (S)OOo. Both
versions have their advantages.

The OP has alread sorted out his issue, but for future reference,
installing the openoffice.org package in Ubuntu will bring in Base:

$ sudo apt-get install openoffice.org

I also recommend installing the sun-java6-jre package to use instead of
the default (for reasons I won't go into here). Ensure that the Partner
repository is enabled
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu):

$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

Both of the above can of course be installed from Synaptic, or the
Ubuntu Software Center. The added advantage is that those will also pull
in the necessary bits to properly run the java based wizards (File|Wizards).

[snipped long & unnecessary pgp]