Carlo Strata wrote:

I think here we were discussing two things:

- how to avoid list lost (!), thread lost or thread break, when subscriber answer to a non subscriber post; I think all of us agree to avoid this (if you accept the non subscriber post, for the thread content richness and usefulness, it is also convenient to grant thread integrity); how to change things to reach this is a list admin and moderator technical task;

If the non-subscriber replies to the list address, the thread will be maintained, even if it goes through the moderator. When replying to a non-subscriber the add the address as a CC or To for the message, placing a note for the posted to rely to the list, not directly.

- solving or not the first thing, if the term [moderated] is appropriate/suitable to suggest people what the mailing system does related to a non subscriber post so that they can choose what they want to do answering that post. My previous mail was meant to say no: the term is not suitable, is not appropriate! Barbara explain that the term is used to indicate that "the mailing system knows the sender is not a subscriber but for some reasons/rules decides to forward in the same way the 'external' message to the list". Perfect, ok, but this doesn't help people (non technical people: the most ones!) to best behave and avoid first point trouble. Does it? My suggest were made only to address this trouble, improving the tag/term clearness.

So far the only time I have seen "Moderated" in the subject is when the subject line is left blank. The only way to prevent and of this, and it has been discuss here and in the discuss list, is to require that anyone posting be subscribed to the list.

Finally, none want here to modify the message content, I was only speaking about (my) moderated mean.

I understand what you mean by moderated, but it is a very narrow definition that is not part of what the mailing list software allows.

Il 26/08/2010 17:07, RA Brown ha scritto:
 > There is one item added by the software for moderated message and that
 > is a header line  "Delivered-To: moderator for users@openoffice.org".
 > That is what I and others use to "tag" the message as from an
 > unsubscribed poster.
 >
 > HTH
 > Andy

I understand this, it's ok, but the clearness for normal (non technical people), always addressing the first thing above (!), is still loosen: there isn't.

I would like to see some way of making it clearer to people that the poster is not subscribed but for now is not possible.

Andy