On Saturday 30 July 2005 01:00 pm, Grissett wrote:
> Openoffice was recently installed in my computer and works fine,
> except that I cannot open old files from microsoft Word.  There is a
> big list of programs, but none will open the msword items.  Any help,
> please?  I can open msworks spreadsheets fine....
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From another member of this mailing list:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
07/31/05 03:16 am

Can you explain what you mean you cannot open MS Word files:

   1. You cannot open them *with Word* anymore?
   2. You cannot open them anymore at all?
   3. A different problem?

In both cases it would be problem of file association. The following
explanations are given assuming you are using Windows.

First possibility: Double-click a Word file again. In the "Open With..."
dialog use the "Other Program" button (or whatever it is called; I have
a French system--pretty much at the bottom of the list though) and surf
your system to the appropriate program. This can either be Word itself,
if you still have it, or it can be OpenOffice.org, more precisely
"soffice.exe" somewhere in your OpenOffice installation folder (in my
case it's in C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org1.1.4\program).

Second possibility: Open any folder, go to the "Tools" menu (or "View"
in older version of Windows, I believe), click on the "File Types" tab,
scroll down the list to DOC and change the "open" etc dialogs the same
way as described above.

Third possibility (taken from OpenOffice Help file, you may want to
consult it): Close OpenOffice incl. the Quickstart in the systray next
to the clock (right-click, exit), find the the installation file in your
OpenOffice folder (where "soffice.exe" is located too), start it, choose
"Repair" and change file associations of DOC file to OpenOffice or, (if
you want to open them with Word again) uncheck DOC files.

If these suggestions do not work, please provide more details.

*Horst Gerbig*
replies unless requested to do so.

Dan