Hi Harold, *,

Harold Fuchs wrote:

It was *not* the OS, it was OO.

I found that, in Writer, under Format/Sections the two sections of the document were Write Protected.

Unchecking the box for each section fixed the problem.

The question remains, though, as to what causes this to happen. MS Word, on my friend's machine, clearly did not think the sections are protected.

This behaviour is as it should be ....
In MsOffice, certain from fields can be used to imput data, by tabbing from one field to another. Therefore the form has to be protected ...
Thus if you open the documentn in OOo, it is still protected.

Something you have to know, yes.
Maybe something can be improved. User warning, different behaviour of the fields in this case ...

You and others might be interested in this thread:
http://sw.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=1253

Greetings,
Cor

--