sigve berge hofland wrote:
> I have tried to install OpenOffice.org on mac OS X without success. I
> have followed the instructions in the how-to exactly, and I have tried
> several times. But each time when I try to start OpenOffice.org
> 2.0.app I get an error window with the text: <Can't make alias "> and
> two buttons, <Edit> and <OK>.
Are you running OpenOffice.org 2.0.app (the application icon) from
within the Applications folder?

It appears that X11 is not starting.  Can you confirm that X11 is
working on your system by trying the following:

Switch to the Applications, then Utilities folder.  Move to the X11 icon
and click on it to start X11.  If you have not changed anything within
the X11 application, a window labeled xterm should open.  Inside this
window, please type in ls and then press the enter key.  You should see
a listing that starts with Desktop.  If either you do not see the xterm
window OR you do not get a listing, then the installation of X11 is not
proper.

Also, what is the version of OpenOffice.org 2 that you downloaded and
the language you are using?

> If I push <OK>, the window disappears and reappears. If I press it
> again the window disappears. The OpenOffice.org 2.0 application seems
> to be open, and it's toolbar has the buttons <OpenOffice.org> <File>
> and <Edit>. Under About OpenOffice.org it says: <This is an executable
> script saved as an application. You can view or edit this script by
> choosing Edit Script from the Edit window. AppleScript 1.10.7
> Copyright c Apple Computer, Inc. 1990-2005.> Nothing happens if I
> press Edit Script from the Edit window. The Command-Q action doesn't
> respond either, and I have to force quit the application. In the Force
> Quit Applications window, the applications name is <droplet>.
This is because you are running an Applescript and this is the name
given to it.  This calls several programs to run, the last one being the
actual OpenOffice.org 2.0 program.

James M.