---- Original Message ----
From: Larry
To: users@openoffice.org
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 5:18 AM
Subject: [users] [moderated] YOU MUST GIVE A SUMMARY HERE

> Hi, I am using version 2.0.4 of OpenOffice.org. My problem is:
> I have a spreadsheet with many columns/rows all cells containing
> numbers only.  I use the "Find and Replace" function, enter a
> specific number and it locates it without problem.  My question is,
> how can I search [using Find and replace] for several numbers all at
> once rather than just one number at a time?  I've tried entering
> several numbers in the Find and separating them with spaces, colons,
> semi-colons, etc., but nothing seems to work.  Is there any way I can
> do that?
>
> I would appreciate any assistance you can provide.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry

You need to use Regular Expressions. In the Find dialog, click Mre Options and
then check the Regular Expressions box. Now, to search for, let's say 100 or
200 or 300 enter ^100$|^200$|^300$ using vertical bars between the numbers (on
my UK keyboard, the bar is above the backslash) and surrounding each value with
a caret on the left and a dollar sign on the right. If you want to search for
values with decimal points, say 35.67 you need to precede *each* decimal point
with a backslash so, in this case you'd enter 35\.67   - all the previous rules
still apply: bars, dollars and carets.

To understand what is happening, please read about Regular Expressions in the
Help and in the user documentation.

Harold Fuchs
London, England