On Friday 22 December 2006 15:12, Harold Fuchs wrote (regarding Re: [users]
Re: Finding Several Numbers in Calc (was Re: [users] [moderated] YOU MUST
GIVE A SUMMARY HERE)):
> On Friday, December 22, 2006 5:28 AM [GMT+1=CET], Pradeep Srinivas
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 December 2006 20:56, Larry wrote (regarding Re:
> > [users] Re: Finding Several Numbers in Calc (was Re: [users]
> >
> > [moderated] YOU MUST GIVE A SUMMARY HERE)):
> >> Sorry to keep 'pestering' you Harold, you seem to be the only person
> >> who has a grasp of my concern.  I am using version 2.0.4 of OO on
> >> Windows XP. I guess the best way to explain my problem is to show
> >> you my spreadsheet.
> >>
> >> 579374448
> >> 2416253949
> >> 81524303132
> >> 1713273237
> >>

> >> That example is just 4 rows of approximately  50.  When I enter
> >> (try) any of your suggestions into the "find", the result is a
> >> hi-lite of only one number Say for example I need to find the
> >> numbers 8, 15, 16, 25, 32 and 49. I can search for 8, then search
> >> for 15, then 16, etc., one at a time which is time consuming, I
> >> would like "find" to hi-lite all six numbers all at once, like this:
> >>   579374448
> >> 2416253949
> >> 81524303132
> >> 1713273237
> >>

> >> Oh and yes, the numbers are all whole numbers, they are not formulas
> >> or the results of formulas.
> >> Thanks again and I really do appreciate you assistance
> >>
> >> Larry,
> >> Brampton, Ontario, Canada
> >
> > Hi Larry,
> >
> > Let me take a stab at this problem.... If I understand you, you have
> > the numbers as mentioned above in ONE column, and you want to search
> > for (say), 949 and (say) 3132.  There could be other criteria for the
> > search as well, but the logic is the same, and extensible.
> >
> > *  Open the Find and Replace box (edit > Find and replace, or Cntl-F)
> > *  Click the "more options" to drop down the more options
> > *  Click the check box next to Regular Expressions
> > *  In the combo box for "Search In", choose "Values"
> > *  In the Search Direction, choose "Columns" radio button
> > *  Right at the top of the dialog, type in, WITHOUT the double
> >   quotes, the following: "949|3132".
> > *  Hit "find all"
> >
> > On the spreadsheet, you will see the two cells that contain these
> > values highlighted (namely 2416253949 and 81524303132)
> > For each additional "search pattern" you require, add it to the
> > existing search, with a "|" preceding it.
> >
> > This works even for values calculated by formulation (this is in
> > answer to another poster asking this question, as an offshoot of your
> > original qustion), but then, you need to choose "Values" in the
> > "Search In" combo box.
> >
> > Now, if you want to search for a digit (or more than one digit) ONLY
> > at the start of the number, precede the digit (or the digit sequence)
> > with a "^" (without the quotes, of course), and if you want to search
> > for something similar ONLY at the end of the number, put a "$" at the
> [...]

Harold,

Thank you for pointing out the mangled table - I thought the entire sequence
of digits was one large number.  However, I did break the digits into smaller
sequences (arbitrary, I confess, of 1- and 2-digits), and tried to work the
logic I had given above - it failed.

So came up with (arbitrary) sequences to search for - say, 25 and 9 etc.  What
I could find was that you cannot give a "^number$|^number$" - you needed to
give a range like "^[1-46-9].*5$|^[1-9]$".  That worked.

So, unless we (well, I) know EXACTLY what the OP is searching for, and what is
failing (sorry, I am more than averagly dense, and may have missed the
point), I do not think we can reach a solution.  Perhaps we should take this
thread off post ?  No offense meant to the posters, of course.

Regards, Pradeep