<<SNIP>>

Suggesting that the OpenOffice project absorbs the Evolution project is like suggesting that General Motors absorbs Rayband, because when people drive Fords, *some* of them like to have Rayband sunglasses on. Sure, maybe they DO like to wear sunglasses while driving their car, but that's no reason to merge the production of the two. Do I need to buy another Ford when I sit on my Rayband sunglasses? Hope not.
<<SNIP>>

Your analogy would work better IF General Motors built Fords.  It does not.