OOo 2.0.4 works fine on my ancient (somewhat upgraded) Pentium III operating
with Ubuntu 6.10 ; the only more salient complaint I have is that despite
installing practically all the fonts available, there remain a large number
of Chinese glyphs and other symbols from the Table de caractères
Unicodethat aren't reproduced properly on my screen, which affects
both OOo and
other applications. But given, as it seems, that John Jason Jordan's problem
is common to amd64 users (or 64-bit users in general), Ubuntu would be wise
to correct it as soon as possible. Even old fogies like myself aren't going
to be using 32-bit set-ups forever....

Henri

2007/1/27, John Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 02:16:39 -0800 (PST)
> TerryJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:
>
>> Against my better judgment, I tried an amd64 OS version about 6 months
ago.
>> I could not launch the firefox installed by the OS installer and had to
>> re-emerge it (it was a Gentoo-based distro and a good one).   I tried
in
>> vain to install OpenOffice twice before I counted the cost in time too
high.

>> I am sceptical that software development has caught up with amd64.  I
would
>> ditch your OS and go back to a plain i586 or whatever Ubuntu has and
get an
>> OpenOffice version that works.
>
> Each to his own. I bought this amd-64 laptop in May, 2005. First I
> tried Suse, then Mandriva, Fedora, and finally Ubuntu -- all 64-bit
> versions. All worked perfectly except for the video -- Ubuntu was the
> only one that found and automatically configured the video, so that's
> why I settled on Ubuntu. That was all the way back with Hoary.

Too true about "each to his own".  I started with SuSE and you couldn't
pry me away from it with an iron pole.   I tried Fedora Core once, and
the installation was a total failure in my mind.  Though I would suspect
that OpenOffice is to the point where distributions would automatically
bundle it with their software, at least the bigger distributions.