They have a single item that is a blocker for them and it is a single spreadsheet. This reminds me of a video done by IBM (I think it was IBM) many years ago showing a split screen video of a woman trying to find a recipe. On one screen, she walks to the computer, turns it on, waits for it to boot, loads the recipe application..... In the other window, the same woman goes to her recipe box, opens the box, finds the recipe. The recipe was found in the box significantly faster.

My expectation is that if you solve this problem, then they will have another blocker for you. Call it pessimism. My proclivity towards pessimistic assumptions frequently proves false, however, So ... what can be done to load the spreadsheet faster?

First, make a copy of the spreadsheet and save it as a native OOo document. See if that makes a difference.

Next, try to determine if there is an issue with recalculations after the document is loaded. In other words, simply look at the document. Are you able to determine what it is about the document that slows it down? Does it contain numerous images and you must change the load/cache options for OOo? Does it recalculate an enormous amount of data? What methods are used in the formulas? Are they inefficient? How quickly does the document loaded in Excel? Can you disable recalculation on load?

--
Andrew Pitonyak
My Book: http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/oome.htm