hi

On 9/1/07, Johnny Rosenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I wouldn't be surprised if Excel on the same machine (or a comparable
> machine)
> opens the same document in less than 5 seconds.

I believe you are current in this surmise.  I have not paid attention per se
to anyone opening the file, simply because I don't work on Windows boxes for
the school, only GNU Linux boxes.  But I don't hear that many complaints
about the file loading slowly on Excel.  I am going to have to test the
list.

I have also tried to open
> big Excel files with OpenOffice. About 10-100 times longer isn't unusual,
> compared to Excel. The "slowness" is one of the few things I really hate
> with OpenOffice.org.

Yeah, and it would be a deal-breaker with this school, as well as some
really really negative branding.  I don't want them to think that FOSS is
trash, and these educators are really over-worked, unpaid, impatient
people.  They are at work no later than 6:55 in the morning, and they often
stay until 6 pm in the evening, and they are expected to be available for
student phone calls until 8 pm at night, and many of them do, in fact, take
those calls.  Of course, they have moved the school from being third from
last in the district to being first or second in the district, but at a
tremendous cost.

> 2. I also hope that you can convince your school to develop a database
> instead of that ridiculously big spreadsheet. As someone else said,
> driving
> nails with screwdrivers is not a good idea, even if Calc is made 100 times
> faster than today.

Doing so will be my goal, but one problem is that I personally have never
used OOo Base, or any other database for that matter (I am a lawyer by
trade, not a technologist), and so I am going to have a huge learning
curve.  I am willing to learn, but doing so will take time, and in the
meantime, the Borg will get its tentacles ever deeper into the school.