Steve & Tami Chandler wrote:
Hi
When I send my open office files (.odt), they can't be opened. How can they be
opened?

Thanks,
Steve

OpenOffice defaults to the ISO standard format for documents. This format can be opened and read by any office suite that uses this standard. Microsoft Office does NOT adhere to this standard (instead opting to lock people into proprietary formats). This leaves you with a few choices:

- encourage others to use an office suite that uses ODT such as OpenOffice.org or KOffice (just to name two).

- ask the people you are sending documents to, to install the ODF Plugin for Microsoft Office from here: http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/ This fixes MS Office so that it can open and save ODF files

- keep the document in ODF format and when you want to send out the document click File > Send > Email as Microsoft Word and the document will be converted and attached to a new mail message in your default email client.

- save your files in MS Office format (File > Save As) (You can also set OpenOffice.org to always save your documents in MS Office formats by going to: Tools > Options > Load/Save > General > Default file format and set the file format for each document type)

C.
--
Clayton Cornell       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
StarOffice - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Hamburg, Germany