Steve & Tami Chandler wrote:
Hi
When I send my open office files (.odt), they can't be opened. How can they be
opened?

Thanks,
Steve

I assume that what you mean is that you send .odt files to someone who doesn't have OpenOffice. There are at least four ways to handle this:

1. Suggest that the person you're sending files to install OpenOffice (it's free).

2. If the person on the receiving end has Microsoft Office, then you can select the option to e-mail it as a Word document: File > Send > E-mail as Microsoft Word.

3. Similarly, if you communicate frequently with people who have MS Word but don't have OpenOffice, you can set your default file format to be MS Word. Tools > Options > Load/Save > General

4. You can save the document as a PDF (File > Export as PDF) or directly send the file as a PDF (File > Send > E-mail as PDF). If the person at the receiving end does not need to edit the document, this is better than saving as MS Word format, because nothing gets lost in translation between OpenOffice and Word formats, as it occasionally does when converting from OpenOffice to Word or vice versa.

Hope this helps.