I think Micro$oft is claiming that if OOXML is NOT declared a standard, a large black hole will devour the Earth. Or maybe it will rain for 40 days and 40 nights. If they DO make OOXML a standard, it will alleviate Global Warming, bring Peace to the Middle East, and enable the Tooth Fairy to raise her rates to $5 per tooth.

In other words, typical Micro$oft FUD.

From everything I have read (everything except M$ press releases, that is) OOXML is a terrible, awful, hideous "standard" filled with junk like "this function should format like the 1996 3.7.1.8beta2 release of Foosoft's Foowriter" when Foosoft went out of business in 1997 and the last known copy of Foowriter source code was erased in 1999. SERIOUSLY, from all I have heard, it is FILLED with "specifications" that fail to specify anything. It was created using handwavium and balonium!

It is so vague, it leaves LOTS of room for M$ to say, "Oh, well, what we meant was ..." and then do things any way they like while still claiming to "conform" to the standard. Which, of course, is just what they want -- the ability to change things periodically so everyone has to buy their new release! They DON'T WANT a standard at all, but the next best thing is as many contradictory and confusing pseudo-standards as possible.

Jim Hartley

William Case wrote:
Hi;

I have been following this thread with some interest.

I have a curiosity question.