On 24 Sep 2007 at 11:21, Robin Laing wrote:
> There is an issue about the lack of being able to rotate images in Writer.
>
> Try ImageMagik and see if that will work for you.
>
> http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php
>
> Here is a link to some tutorials.
> http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/
>
>  From the format page, it says it needs ghostscript to read PS files.

Thanks. I did try that earlier.  I've been using IM for quite a while;
nice bit of code generally, but in this case,  it turns out it just
seems to rotate the epsi preview. Not nice at all.

I do seem to be getting to the bottom of the cpan perl modules
(Postscript::Simple::EPS), which seem to suffer from wrong
documentation plus some rather bewildering treatment of scale factors,
and I hope now to be able to rotate the postscript using that.

But it still leaves the other problems; as I said, I'd love to use a
master document with a mix of text and draw pages; but I'm going to
have to use draw alone, if only to have the easy page reordering; but
draw doesn't offer text styles afaict, so uniformity of text styles
will be murder (reformat fifty text boxes with a revised font,
anyone???).

I must say, I really don't understand the apparently artificial
restrictions imposed -- I think the silliest is the lack of many text
fields in draw (how about "page 3 of 30" for example in a text box?);
more irritating is the prohibition on aligning images in writer. Back
in my coding days, I can imagine what my boss would have said if I'd
designed that sort of irrational behaviour..........

Incidentally, drag and drop of plain ps seems to hang OOo 2.3 (XP) in a
compute-bound loop. eps is ok though. Anyone else noticed this?
--
various incoming sites blocked because of spam; see
http://www.scottsonline.org.uk for a list and openpgp crypto key