I have been getting pagination to work reasonably well (both 2.0.4 and 2.3). The secret is in understanding that "Default Page" and "First Page" (in the list that pops up from F11) are DIFFERENT ANIMALS.

Position your document on page 2 (or later), F11, select "Page Styles", double click on "Default". May have to select "modify" here. Turn on Page Header/Footer, type your info, Insert->Fields->Page Number.

All pages should now have numbers, and if this is what you want stop here.

I use headers and DO NOT want one on the first page, so I page up to the first page, double click on "First Page" in the page styles, and make sure Header/Footer is OFF.

Like I say, the trick is making sure you are positioned AFTER the first page when playing with Headers/Footers and page numbers, then change the first page if it is to be different.

I can't say I blame you for feeling annoyed, it took me a fair amount of finnagling to get this working properly.

Jim Hartley

dougM wrote:
Greetings from a newbie, all.

I have made a discovery that might be helpful to folks who are having trouble paginating. I had written a document and wanted to add page numbers. Nothing fancy, no roman-to-Arabic transition, just, y'know, consecutive numbers on consecutive pages. It was too much to ask. I followed, meticulously, instructions from the Oo help menu, a book on Linux, and several web sites. The various instructions were incompatible, but that's all right because none of them worked. I would get "1" on page 1, right where it ought to be, and empty footer fields on all pages after that.

After uninstalling, reinstalling, and calling up some vocabulary I'd forgotten I knew, I discovered a solution by accident: Set up pagination BEFORE you add the text. If you've already written it, as I had, do this: In a BLANK Oo page, set up page numbering. Then copy and paste the document you've written into that page. The whole thing comes out properly paginated. Well... It has so far. This is of course completely different from Word or WPerfect, where you can add pagination to the document after you've written it. And NONE of the sources I consulted made any mention of this. How was I supposed to know it?

Or am I still missing something?

-- Doug M.

Teen Angel - a ghost story - http://teenangel.netfirms.com