On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:29:49 -0300
"Jim Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Has this error been corrected in version 2.3?  Until it has been
> fixed, I cannot use OpenOffice nor recommend it to others.

Many (most?) Microsoft Word doc files can be opened with little or no problem
using OpenOffice.

Some Microsoft doc files can not be opened at all, and some will lose
formatting or other features of the original file as viewed with Microsoft Word.

As Microsoft's doc format is a closed, proprietary format it is unlikely that
this problem will ever be solved 100%, but OpenOffice does work well enough
with Microsoft's doc format that it is adequate for most people's requirements.