On 11/3/07, Patricia Kruzan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In thinking of downloading Open Office, I have a couple of concerns.
>
>    I would like to have the files on my older as well as newer
> computer.  My newer Windows XP computer I anticipate no major
> concerns with in regard to the download.  It is the older Windows 98
> laptop (no CD drive--no connection to the internet) that I have a
> concern about.  Is it possible to download to floppies or a
> flashdrive on my internet-connected Windows XP and then install on my
> Windows 98 laptop?  Any thoughts you have on this would be greatly
> appreciated.

The current version of OpenOffice does not run on Windows 98. Version
1.1.5is identified as compatible with Win98 on the OpenOffice web
site.

Download the 1.1.5 version to your Internet connected XP computer. Copy the
downloaded file to a USB drive. Install on the Win98 computer from the USB
drive.

There is also a version of OpenOffice that is meant to be installed on and
run from a USB drive. It can be downloaded from http://portableapps.com/.
Click the 'Applications' link and scroll down to the Office section of the
page to find the OpenOffice link.

PortableApps web page says it provides the latest version of OpenOffice,
2.2.1, and that it is compatible with Win98 though Vista. Don't know why
their version of OpenOffice would be compatible with more versions of
Windows than the version meant to install on a hard drive. It's probably
worth a try if you'd like to have just one version of OpenOffice to use on
your two computers.