Mike Lichtenstein wrote:
Hello,

This is my first time writing to the group.

I recently used, and convinced my Calculus group, to use OO Math in order to input a Calculus II project for a presentation. We ran into a problem when we could not find a symbol for “Evaluated from a to b”, such as the small attached image (I hope that is allowed), or something similar to this:

 f(x)|

We ended up just creating it in a graphics program and creating jpgs from the OO Math file, which does not seem like the correct way to do this at all.

Hi Michael

The best I've come up with is:

f(x) size*1.7 "|"_a^b

which doesn't look too bad though you might prefer the vertical line to be longer. (The factor of 1.7 is to compensate for the standard subscript and superscript size being 60% of full size - thus the a and b are 102% of full size, and the vertical line is 170% of full size.)

I also tried along the lines of:

f(x) left lline stack{b # "" # a} right rline

(You can omit the words "left" and "right" if you have the "scale all brackets" option turned on by default, as I do.) But this has the unwanted right-hand line, and I can't work out a way to omit it since Math expects brackets to be in pairs. Someone may come up with a way round that.

Hope that is some help?

Andy