Well, in desperation I un-installed Writer 2.2.1 and installed
2.3.1 from the OpenOffice site.

Main post-installation difficulty was actually finding the
Writer executable, as the KDE menu showed no 'OpenOffice'
icon under 'Office', and the executable has for some reason
been renamed "soffice.bin"!

  (Or did I pick the wrong file? Is there a kickoff executable
that then calls soffice.bin?)

Anyway, with 2.3.1. all is well. Fonts behave as they should,
and even a complex Xmas letter prepared with 2.0.3 displayed
perfectly (once I had created soft links with the WinXP fonts
on /dev/hda that I didn't already have).

How or why Mandriva's builtin 2.2.1 screwed up is a puzzle...

Many thanks for all responses - much appreciated...

/\/\aurice