Maurice Batey wrote:
Main post-installation difficulty was actually finding the
Writer executable, as the KDE menu showed no 'OpenOffice'
icon under 'Office', and the executable has for some reason
been renamed "soffice.bin"!

  (Or did I pick the wrong file? Is there a kickoff executable
that then calls soffice.bin?)

Did you install the desktop integration rpm? They're in a subdirectory with the primary rpms. There's a specific one for selected distributions.

Yes, there is an "soffice" shell script that sets up, then runs soffice.bin. You should run "soffice" from the command line--although I don't know what (if any) difference it makes.

$ file /opt/openoffice.org.latest/program/soffice{,.bin}
/opt/openoffice.org.latest/program/soffice: Bourne shell script text executable /opt/openoffice.org.latest/program/soffice.bin: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, stripped

<Joe