On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 07:19:12 -0600
Joseph  (Ragweed) wrote:

> Seems I've stirred up quite a hornet's nest.  Please forgive me for
> the error of my ways....   that is, simply changing the "Subject" and
> not sending it in a new post.

Glad you do not feel personally attacked. It was simply that your
instance of doing this initiated a wider conversation.

> While there are some areas (rules/etiquette) which are questionably
> written, concerning this, I think I've got this all straight now.  If
> I begin a new Subject, I must send a brand spankin' new post and put
> my Subject in that.
>
> My error was in how most of the eMail lists, on which I'm a member,
> operate. You can take an old eMail and change the Subject, write your
> info and post....

As said before, though it is easier to click reply, it can reduce the
chance of your email getting read by someone in the know. Take my
situation where I choose to ignore almost all database threads after
reading the first post as I have little to contribute (no OO.o DB guru
here). If i collapse the DB thread and someone jumps in on the thread
with a new subject of which i am familiar, i will not see it or the
replies to it.

Therefore thread hijacking is most detrimental to the OP, though it is
common for some to get irrationally upset about it. Typically though, on
most lists i am on, it is common for someone to be gently advised of
their error 'once' as you were, without list members making it into a
big deal. Sometimes far more conversation does occur on this topic than
it merits.

> However, I now have users@openoffice.org in my eMail address book so I
> can now bring up a new eMail with a new Subject.
>
> Thanks for setting me straight.  However, I'm now a bit leery....
> <grin>

Clicking or double clicking on an email address in many clients is often
enough to compose a new message to that email without replying. Not sure
about Outlook Express 6.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416