web at work wrote:
Adobe is getting bad as well
If you had to fo to Acrobat 8, or the CS2/3 products, you get a disk full.
Acrobat 8 takes 1.8 gig on my laptop with Photoshop CS2 taking 0.8 gig and
the CS3 version over 1 gig.  Add all of the of the other "needed" products
and you fill your 80 gig laptop without getting any work done.  THEN
when the automatic updator starts, your installed software goes "poof".
I never got Acrobat 8 working correctly after that.  I had to go back to
version 6.
<snip />

But there is ONE BIG difference between Microsoft and Adobe. Adobe submitted their PDF file format for ISO standardisation last year. There was not committee stuffing, they didn't try to fast track a crap specification, they worked with the NBs and improved the proposal.

PDF is about to (if it hasn't already) become IS 32000. There was no scandal, or any "problems" with the process. Anyone can now write software that handles PDF as it a public and IP unencumbered Internationally Approved Standard.

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2007/12/05/a-new-iso-document-standard-is-born/

That is how M$ "should" have done it. If of course they really wanted an open and unencumbered document format.

Al

--
The way out is open!
http://www.theopensourcerer.com