Mary York wrote:
I am a novice and trying to download Writer from your OpenOffice.org and evidently am doing something wrong. Could you please help me with instructions on how to do this. I would appreciate it greatly.
Thanks

You cannot download Writer separately. You have to download the entire suite. Go to www.openoffice.org and click on the the link in the green box and follow the instructions to download the appropriate version of OpenOffice. I assume you're running Windows, so get the Windows version. When you download the file, double click on the file you downloaded, to start the installation.