Jim Allan wrote:

That is exactly what happens. The Windows ALT-numeric keypad method only works when Num Lock is on. Quick Unicode Tool allows you to not worry about that.
> (. . .)
Reasons are only historic. Originally the IBM PC keyboard only had the numeric keypad which doubled as a cursor pad.
(. . .)
Quick Unicode Input Tool does does work with the main key block when you enter in hex mode. But you must start hex mode with Alt-Numpad-Period, not Alt-Regular-Period

Thanks for confirming what I believed to be useful information
(sometimes I think I spread more dis-information that useful stuff),
and thanks also for those clarifications.