John Jason Jordan wrote the following on 3/28/2008 12:01 AM:
The problem is that hex 251 (decimal 593) should give you a "script
a" (fat-a as linguists sometimes call it). It should not give you a
check mark or a u-circumflex. If your e-mail client displays it
properly, it should be ɑ.
The reason I need this is for a web site that some other students and I
am creating:

http://ipa4linguists.pbwiki.com/FrontPage

Go to the Linux or Windows pages and click on the OOo link. I haven't
changed the page yet to reflect that it doesn't work on OOo/Windows.
I'm hoping I won't have to, but so far it appears that there is no
solution.

I should also file a bug report.
Yes, the fat-a shows just fine in TBird. I just tested the same code, ALT-0593, in Writer v2.4, ThunderBird, Word 2007, NotePad, and WordPad. The only one out of the 5 programs that showed me the fat-a with that code was Word 2007. Word also changed the font to MS Mincho to display the fat-a. When I manually changed the font in Writer to MS Mincho, it still did not display the fat-a.

--
Jack