On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 22:20:45 -0600
"Jack D. Lewis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

> Oops! I must be tired. I'm even getting a little dyslexic in my codes.
> The above reply should have read "if I use ALT + 3 digit (decimal) code,
> I get the old dos character set symbols. However, if I use ALT + 4 digit
> (decimal) code (0+whatever), I get the correct characters."
>
> In other words: ALT + 251 will give me a checkmark: √, but ALT+0251
> gives me this: û

I get the same thing.

The problem is that hex 251 (decimal 593) should give you a "script
a" (fat-a as linguists sometimes call it). It should not give you a
check mark or a u-circumflex. If your e-mail client displays it
properly, it should be ɑ.

The reason I need this is for a web site that some other students and I
am creating:

http://ipa4linguists.pbwiki.com/FrontPage

Go to the Linux or Windows pages and click on the OOo link. I haven't
changed the page yet to reflect that it doesn't work on OOo/Windows.
I'm hoping I won't have to, but so far it appears that there is no
solution.

I should also file a bug report.