-------- Original Message --------
From: Albert L. Rodney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed 16 Apr 2008 17:27:27 EST

Hello,
I have just been reading about the Open Office Suite, it sounds
exciting.  I am so tired of the outdated MS Office I am working
with...my Word program is constantly crashing on me and trying to
recover my documents and work.  I did not get a MS version of SW but
all the dubbed copies of Office from Dell Computers when I bought my
system in 2002.

My question is...can I uninstall the MS Office components to use your
Suite, without loosing any of "MY Documents"???

I also have a load of original photography on my HD's and digitized
versions that I have created in Photoshop.  How does all this work
together?  I can't afford to lose any of my "creative writing" ex:
poems, novels, screenplays or graphics & photography files, even if
your SW is FREE.
Barbara Rodney

Barbara,

You don't have to worry about losing documents or other data files you have created when you uninstall the software/programs you used to create those files. Installing OOo (OpenOffice.org) will not delete, remove or otherwise interfere with anything you have created with any programs.

That said, there are couple of things you might like to consider:

* You do not have to uninstall MS Office, just because you are going to install OOo. There may be the odd occasion when it may be useful to have access to MS Office. You can uninstall it if you wish, but OOo will happily co-exist on the same computer with MS Office.

* You should always regularly backup your data files (eg. writings, photographs, etc) to another medium (eg. DVD, external hard disk drive, etc.). Disk drives have a limited life and no matter how good their quality, ultimately they all fail.

There are 3 golden rules in computing  ;)

1, BACKUP YOUR VALUABLE DATA REGULARLY.
2. See rule 1,
3, See rules 1 & 2.

Hope this helps.