On 5 May 2008 at 23:50, kesavan ram kumar wrote:
> Well. For students of medical transcription and legal coding, MS
> Office Word  has a special feature called Window.  (This option is
> available under "File  Edit View... etc., - when you open the text
> editor  for document writing). Using this module and other options
> contained in it, we can compare the original document associated with
> a voice file in 'side by side', 'split' and 'cascading' modes
> (original document and the copy created by the user - one below the
> other) - while listening to the associated voice file.
>
> After all, only on comparing, can we find out the mistakes we make
> when we listen to the voice file and key in words and sentences  -
> which is essential to get accustomed to  the accent (American,
> Australian,  British,etc.).

Odd this should come up. I've just been trying to transcribe a
dictation using OOo for the text and audacity for sound. It's a
pretty ghastly setup to use; not helped by my rotten typing skills :-
)

I find myself longing for one of those secretarial devices with a
foot switch for starting and stopping a tape while keeping both hands
on the keyboard. And wondering if something akin to this might be a
useful adjunct to OOo - boss dictates onto MP3 device or whatever,
OOo provides secretary with audio play/pause facility as (s)he types.

Any mileage??

(Deliberately kept to list only)
--
Permission for this mail to be processed by any third party in
connection