On 22 May 2008 at 3:39, Drew Jensen wrote:

> Michael Adams wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 May 2008 08:20:02 +0100
> > mike scott wrote:
> >

> >> Unless their version starts acquiring incompatible extensions.
> >>
> >> Isn't this what happened with java? (Or maybe I remember wrongly.)
> >>

> > Are you thinking JScript, Microsofts answer to Netscapes Javascript?
> >

> I think he is referring to -
>
> Microsoft started made some changes to to the java language's
> implementation for Windows platforms
> ---- primarily to address performance issues as I recall
>
> SUN threatened to sue
>
> They stopped.
>
> The outcome of that little exchange between the two companies was the
> birth of a totally new language - C#

That's probably it. Although my rather vague recollection is that
there were some compatibility issues which went against Sun's
licensing conditions.

It just seemed that MS, after taking ODF on board, would be in an ace
position to wreck its compatibility across systems, blame others,
then push their own as the One True Standard. Maybe I'm just too
cynical :-)

--
Permission for this mail to be processed by any third party in
connection